Article by: Richard Handscombe - First Published: 27th November 2012
One of a number of public artworks on the campus of the University of Leeds
By sculptor William Chattaway. This 20 foot bronze, made in 1970, is positioned high on the east wall of the University of Leeds' Roger Stevens Building above a large reflecting pool with fountains. It was originally named "Spirit of Enterprise", but is now known as "Hermes".
The sculpture had originally adorned a large Midland Bank building, but when this was demolished in 1983, it was saved for the University by Stanley Burton.
William Chattaway was born in Coventry in 1927 and attended the Coventry School of Art and Design, going on to study at London's Slade School of Art. He is now based in Paris, where he moved in 1950.
Try these links to search the following topics:
Please note: All fields are required