Calverley War Memorial.
Louis Frederick Roslyn.
Article by: Seán Gormally - First Published: 13/02/2013
War memorial to commemorate the servicemen of Calverley who were lost during World Wars 1 & 2.
This bronze "Victory" statue which stands in Victoria Park on Carr Road is a tribute to all the servicemen of Calverley who lost their lives in World Wars 1 & 2. This is one of three similar compositions in West Yorkshire (the others being situated in Wetherby and Greengates) that were commissioned to London born sculptor Louis Frederick Roslyn (Born Roselieb) between 1921/22, this one having being unveiled on 28th May 1922.
The statue is sculpted out of bronze and sits on a limestone plinth with a cast iron railing running around the base. The bronze plates attached to three sides of the monument hold the names of 50 soldiers who died in World War One and 25 from World War Two. Click on the first link in the 'Credits to' section for details of all 75 servicemen.
The front of the plinth bears the inscription:-
"IN MEMORY OF THE CALVERLEY MEN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918"
"THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"
On the bottom of the plaque that bears the name of the Second Word War servicemen is the legend: "God proved them and found them worthy for Himself"
As of 2003 (the result of the Greengates monument being threatened by a road widening scheme) the Calverley War Memorial, along with Roslyn's other two "Yorkshire Ladies", has been listed as Grade II.
Try these links to search the following topics:
Please note: All fields are required